Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What I Learned From A 10-Year-Old " Gross Boy"

I was ten years old when I met Steve. He was twelve and his family owned a camp, two cottages away from my family’s camp on Crescent Lake in Raymond, Me.

I was a scrawny, shy and insecure kid. 

For some reason Steve took an immediate liking to me and even though he was older and smarter we became fast friends.

After a few days of hanging out together Steve asked me to sleepover at his camp.

I immediately said, “ I don’t think you’d want me to”

Steve gave me a curious look and said, “Why?”

“Because I’m a gross boy.”

"What’s a gross boy?”, Steve laughed.

 “I pick my nose and fart a lot.”

I always laugh when I tell this story but as I think about this I realize that I do the same thing, when I am at my best, in business and personal relationships today.

I believe it is important to be who you are and set the parameters for the relationship up front so that everyone knows what the expectations are.

Even as a 10-year-old I was aware of this.  Steve knew what he was getting into and that has allowed us remain and grow as friends for almost 45 years.

Besides, it allows me to still pick my nose and fart a lot.



No comments: